Monday, November 30, 2009

What was Rothgar reading?

The Marquess of Rothgar was, of course, very interested in science and engineering, and so he would be reading the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society.

Such as this paper: An Account of the Success of the Bark of the Willow in the Cure of Agues.

In other words -- what we now know as aspirin or acetylsalicylic acid and its effects on pain.

How do I know this? Because the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific association, founded in 1660, has put some of the most important papers from their Philosophical Transactions, on line, along with a time line.

You can read the above paper here.

And go to their sharing site, Trailblazing, here.

And how do I know about this? Because it was on BBC 4, which is so chock full of fascinating and entertaining content that I have to drag myself away to do other things. Like write books. I'm even listening as a blog!

Jo

No comments: