Friday, November 16, 2007

Those messy marriages

Having just finished A Lady's Secret,(out in April)

I'm poking around research for the next and came across this interesting analysis of a messy legal situation connected to marriage in the early 18th century.

Read the article here.

It's worth noting the emotional level acceptable in a man back then. Sure, he was probably lying, but he can't have felt it made him ridiculous.

"Your Letter lies now before me; I have not words to Express my Agony of Soul upon reading of it. I sunk from my Chair to the floor, void of all manner of sense and when I came to myself there was no body to pity me. Oh had my dearest Madie been there and heard my Groans,"

Let's see, a modern writer of Georgian romances has her hero, Rafe, the Duke of Blackcastle, receive a letter from the woman he loved and abandoned...

"Rafe slid off his chair in a dead faint. When he came to, he groaned, unable to bear the thought that he was all alone with none to pity his suffering, that..."

Nah, not seeing it!

Jo

No comments: